Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Laura goes to Beaumont


Laura has been breaking out in water blisters (which I think is a side effect from her medication Tegretol) but over the weekend blisters on her hand became infected. I had her at the GP yesterday who gave me cream. I had been panicking all over the weekend about her being chesty. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that this is what might put her surgery in doubt.


Mr O'Brien (neurosurgeon) came around in the afternoon and when he seen her hand i swear to God he was going mad. I was picking my stomach up off the floor for fear he was going to say no to surgery. He requested a paediatrician to assess her to make sure infection was no where else. It isn't. Two samples were taken and will be brought to the Virus Lab in UCD by taxi in the morning for urgent analisys. Results should be back by lunch. She is now in isolation and only me, Brian and my Mam and Dad are allowed in. They have her hand smothered in a new topical cream which will be re-applied every 5 hours or so and bandaged up. As long as its covered up and doesn't spread she should be ok for theatre.


He gave us the go ahead pending results of the sample. He needed her hand to put IV lines in. She'll have them coming out of her neck and now her groin because he won't be able to use her hand. He has ordered 4 units of her blood type which will be delivered tomorrow night, ready for Thursday morning.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Hi Rachel, We will be following her progress from the US and hope and pray that all goes well for sweet little Laura. She is so beautiful. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Cris and Kristi Hall

Aiden said...

Many prayers for precious Laura.

Rachel (Aiden's mom)
in California